You are here: Home English
SUKHOTHAI OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE PROJECT
The Sukhothai Operation and Maintenance Area is located on the Sukhothai Province. Plain on both sides of the Yom River near sawankhalok Distric, about 38 km north of the Provincial Town of Sukhothai.
The Yom River Basin was development study which was completed in 1971 (2514) The recommendations included
1.Construct a storage dam at Huai Sak (Phrae),north of the Mae Yom Project.
2.Construct a diversion dam at Kaeng Luang (Sr Satchanalai Sukhothai)
3.However because of the high costand long construction period, NGO. From surveying and testing in Sawnkhalok and Srinakhon (Zone 1 + Zone 2) to determine the potential for groundwater development and suitable aquifers.
Zone 1 the best aquifer 1976 (2519)
Zone 2 number 2 1979 -1982 (2522-2525)
The project was constructed in1976 (2519)
Finished in 1992 (2535)
Been operated for irrigation in 1982 (2525)
The project consist of Zone 1 and 2
- The area is located on the Sawankhalok Distric
- Consist of 104 wells,Irrigation Area about 36,325 Rai (5,812 ha)
- The area is located on the Srinakhon Distric
- Consist of 100 wells , Irrigation Area about 32,300 Rai (5,168 ha)
Note : 1 ha = 6.25 rai
- A well command area of between 300-350 Rai (48-56 ha)
- 1 Well have the farmer approximately 35 family.
- 1 well have 1 Pump operator get salary from Rid.
PLANNING GROUNDWATER RESOURCES
- In parallel with the construction of the wells,The consult of Project,they do the Modelling aquifer Program of the groundwater system. The model covers an area of some 1675 sq.Km and includes both Zone 1 and 2 development areas.
- The aims of the model are to indicate potential abstraction rates,possible long – trem effects on other groundwater users,and to aid in the planning of agricultural development of the area.
* 1 Year could provide 40 million cubic meters
- The introduction of irrigation was designed to supply (Water demand) supplementary wet season irrigation thus giving farmers the potential to increase
yields and reduce the giving farmers the rainfed crop production.In addition cropping could be intensified by the introduction of dry season irrigation.
The climate is of a tropical monsoon type,with 3 district seasons being recognized : (Wet season ,Cool season and Hot )
- September is normally the wettest month of the year with an average monthly rainfall of 297 mm. Where the average annual rainfall is 1220 mm.
- April have the maximum potential evaporation 225 mm.
- January have the minimum potential evaporation 120 mm.
- The wells vary in depth between 70 and 150 m.depending on the depth to bedrock,with a minimum spacing of 700-800 m. to avoid over-pumping.
- The boreholes are 559 mm. (22”) in diameter
- Cased Using Glass Reinforced plastic pipe (GRP) 0 14” to a depth of 30-45 m.
and reduce to 0 10”
- The annular space is gravel packed.
- The sand and gravel aquifer sequences are screened (1 , 1.5 , 2.0 , 3.0 mm)
- The clay sequences are blanked.
- The reliable yield of each well has been determined by pump testing following construction of the borehole.
- The pumps are of two sizes (35 l/s and 55 l/s)
- The pumps are of the multi-stage vertical turbine type connected by Line shafts to motors, driven by electricity supplied from PEA (Provincial Electricity Autolity ) Sukhothai.
- The motors are the vertical , hollow shaft type , rate at 30 and 40 KW , running at 1470 rpm and operate on a 380 volt, 3 phase 50 HZ AC. supply
- The water Flow is metered at the pump house and discharge controlled by a butterfly vale.
- An air valve, pressure relief valve and non-return valve are provided to prevent damage to the pump or distribution pipework.
IRRIGATION DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM
The water is distributed thought a buried uPVC pipe network of 10” , 8” and 6” diameters , to riser boxes controlled by a mushroom valve.
A stilling basin and weir are included at the riser so that the farmer is able to check on the discharge. The riser box was locate at an appropriate point in a plot.
Upland Areas are suitable for crops such as sugar-cane , maize , soybean , blackgram , groundnuts and cotton.
Lowland Areas are suitable for local rice variety and HYV rice.